Saturday, August 7, 2010

It's been a while...

What a crazy week!  School is about to start again and I've been going here and there, working in my classroom, buying school supplies for my students.  Needless to say, I'm exhausted!  I've done more in the past 5 days than I did for most of July.

I'm currently 6 days past our first IUI.  I have some minor cramping this week and my stomach as been tender to the touch.  I wasn't concerned because I'm heard or read about others having similar experiences.  Fast forward to yesterday around 4:30 pm.  I thought I was dying....severe pain, nausea, tears.  I was out buying my baby brother a belated graduation gift.  I was happily shopping, browsing, and deciding on the perfect gift for his new bachelor pad.  Then BAM!  I thought I was going to pass out from the pain.  And of course, I was alone.  I took a minute to regain my composure and then made my way out of the store.  As I drove back to my brother's apartment, I was crying from the pain. By the time I got back, the pain had eased up.  I wiped my face, wiped the smeared eyeliner and made the trek up the 3 flights of stairs.  By the time I got to the top my pain was in full force again.  In the apartment, my mom, dad and brother were working to unpack the 100s of boxes my brother has (seriously - I didn't have half as much stuff when I was 22).  The minute I walked in my mom knew something was wrong.  I told her about the sharp pain and grabbed some Gat.orade and took 2 Tyl.enol. 

After about 30 minutes of lying still, the pain eased up.  About that time Mr. MBC called to say he was on his way back to the apartment.  I said "OK", then he said "What's wrong?"  I told him my stomach was really hurting.  When he arrived he came to the bedroom to check on me.  And this is one of the reasons I love him...he said "Are you sure it's not gas?  Do you need to poop?".  Regardless of the situation, he can make me laugh, which turned out to the worst thing I could have done at that point.  Mr. MBC asked if I wanted him to call my RE or go to the ER.  I told him no, just take me home.  I took Tyl.enol every 4 hours throughout the night. 

I called my RE's office this morning because Mr. MBC and I were convinced that I had OHSS.  When the nurse called me back, she told me that it was unlikely because my estridol levels were not that high.  (Apparently it has to be over 1000 or so to raise a flag.)  She went on to explain that it was most likely a cyst or two, specifically a corpus luteum cyst.  She told me to continue the Tyl.enol every 4 hours, rest, and refrain from sex until the pain was gone.  If the pain gets worse, I'm supposed to call back.

Here's the kicker.....I've got 8 days until my beta, but I'll probably test Thursday or Friday morning.  The nurse said if the beta is negative and I stop the progesterone, the symptoms will go away quickly and my period should take care of the cyst(s).  However, if the beta is positive the symptoms will continue for another 2 or 3 weeks. 

Damn Catch 22!  But I'd rather have a baby and be in pain than have pain from not having a baby.


  1. I hadn't heard of intense pains like this either. Glad to hear the Tylenol gives you some relief and hopefully the next several days will go quickly for you!

  2. I've had some pretty big cysts a few times and they were incredibly painful. It hurt to walk. The only thing I could do was stay perfectly still. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with it!

    A recommendation I was given that helped: sit on your hands and knees and then lean your head down so it is touching the ground or pillow and your butt is up in the air. It helped me a lot.


Have you seen my baby carriage?