Thursday, February 10, 2011

Blog Challenge - Day 4

Day 4-Your parents

Where do I start?  My parents are basically the best parents ever.  I truly hope that my kids will have as much respect and love for me and Mr. MBC as I have for my parents.

My parents started dating when they were both still in high school.  The were set up by a mutual friend.  My dad was the bad boy on the motorcycle from the small town and my mom was the good girl from the city.  From what I know, my mom and dad feel for one another fairly quick.  My dad would drive for almost an hour to see my mom during the week and would go to all of her softball games whether it was week night or weekend. 

They were married at 17 & 18.  Very young!!  I think of my life when I was their age and know there is NO WAY I was ready for marriage at that age.  But times were different then, right?

For me, they are the perfect picture of what marriage should be.  Have I seen them argue?  Yes.  Have I seen them give each other the silent treatment?  Of course.  But I've also seen how they are toward one another.  They've been married for 33 years and they still tell each other "I love you" every time they leave one another and at the end of each phone call.  When walking through the mall this past December, I saw them holding hands and acting all giddy like the teenagers I see on a daily basis. 

In addition to showing their love for one another, they also show the greatest respect for each other.  I remember anytime a vacation or major purchase came up, they always discussed it.  They never make major decisions without the input of the other. 

I remember dancing with my dad on my and Mr. MBC's wedding day.  While dancing, my dad was very quiet and had a tear in his eye.  (I've always been a daddy's girl and still am.)  Anyway, I looked at him and told him I was going to be okay.  This is what I wanted, had waited for it and had the best example of what marriage should be.  After that, he was okay. 

I guess the point of this story....if Mr. MBC and I can have marriage half as great as my parents, I'll count myself lucky.

While the boys will be my parents' first biological grandchildren, they've always treated the Sweetest Girl in the World like she's their own.  Another reason I love them.  They took her in and didn't ask any questions.  Seeing how wonderful they are with her and how much she loves them, I have no doubt that they are going to be the best grandparents in the world. 

And I know that material things don't measure love, but they spoil the SGW and have already started spoiling the boys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you seen my baby carriage?