Thursday, February 3, 2011

Update from latest OB visit....

This is about a week late, but I've been so busy at work and completely exhausted when I get home.  I've been asleep on the couch by 9 every night this week.  Mr. MBC has been great about keeping up with housework.  I love that man!

I was orginally supposed to go to the OB today, but I've been battling cough and congestion for too long and called last week.  Dr. H's office was great and got me in that day.  After looking at my throat, listening to my chest and lungs, and asking about my symptoms Dr. H decided I have an upper respiritory infection and the beginning of bronchitis :(  Fun times, huh?  He gave me a prescription for a stronger antibiotic than last time - remember, I've been on a Z-Pak three times since October!!  He also gave me a steroid shot to help keep my body into gear.  He offered to give me a refill on some cough medicine, but last time I took it I felt so weird and out  of place.  He said to take Robitussin and Mucinex to help with the cough and congestion. 

Fast forward to today - I'm done with my antibiotics and I'm still not feeling great.  Still taking Mucinex and I guess it's doing it job because I am coughing up so much crap.  It's kind of gross to tell you the truth.  The worst part is the coughing.  It's worse, not better.  Add in the tightness and crampiness I've been feeling in my ute and my stomach just flat out hurts!

After Dr. H talked about my sickness, he decided to go ahead and do all pregnancy-related stuff as well.  He said he wanted to save me a trip today - thanks Dr. H!!!  First he measured my belly.  I was right at 24 weeks, but my belly is measuring the same as a singleton pregnancy at 30 weeks.  No wonder I feel so BIG!  Then he pulled out the doppler to listen to the boys heart beats.  I always hold my breath until I hear the "thud-thud-thud" of Baby Boy A's heart. Anyway, both boys heartbeats sounded really good and strong; they measured at 144 and 160 beats per minute.  It's odd because Baby A has always had the lower heart rate and he's so calm.  I feel him moving sometimes, but not a lot.  Any time we've had an ultrasound, Baby A has been very chill - sleeping, sucking his thumb, just hanging out.  But Baby B....oh my!  He's all over the place, all the time!  He's always had a high heart rate - so high that one of the nurses at Dr. H office was willing to bet money that he was a girl.  I think a lot of it has to do with his position, but I can always feel him in my ribs and back.  And when we've had ultrasounds, he's flipping and wiggling all around.  Dr H has even commented on how he's "a mover and a shaker" because he always runs from the doppler.  Dr. H has to chase him down.  You can hear all the fluid moving around on the doppler as he's trying to escape the sound.  It's so funny!

After the fun stuff, Mr. MBC and I asked Dr. H when we'd start talking about a date for my c-section.  Originally, Dr. H had said if I made it to 36 weeks, he'd schedule me by week 37.  Well, he's changed his mind but for good reason.  Obviously, the longer the boys are in-utero the better in terms of development and size.  Dr. H is very pleased with my gradual weight gain and how well my body is handling the twin pregnancy.  Now he's thinking he will schedule the c-section right before 38 weeks.  I know 7 days doesn't seem like a long time, but I can only imagine how huge I will be, how uncomfortable I will be and how ready I will be to meet the boys by that time. 

The other good news from last week's appointment is that Dr. H isn't giving me any restrictions just yet.  He said as long as I felt good and the boys were doing well, I can work as long as I feel like it.  Which is a huge sigh of relief because my dad was very sick this time last year and I used a lot of my sick and personal days at the hospital.  I've been stressed about the possibility of bed rest, unpaid leave, insurance, etc.  Well, if everything goes according to my plan (a girl can dream, right?), I'll have around 20 sick days which covers the last month of school.  And, if something else comes up before then I can borrow up to 15 days from the sick leave bank at work and I can have others donate sick days to me.  This is great news because I get paid in full for sick days and Mr. MBC and I will not have to worry about insurance going up during this time.  Needless to say, a huge weight has been lifted.

Unless I have any problems, I do not go back to see Dr. H until February 24th.  This day will be action packed for me, Mr. MBC and the boys.  I have my glucose test first thing that morning.  In the hour wait between blood draws, I have a growth ultrasound to check the boys size.  I cannot wait to see them again!  Then that afternoon, Mr. MBC and I head back to Dr. H's office for our 4D ultrasound.  We get to see the boys twice in one day :)

In unrelated news.....Mr. MBC and I have decided on a lot of stuff for the nursery and baby gear.  I'll share with you guys very soon!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've been very busy! Sorry about being under the weather, but the boys seem to be progressing well. I bet you are so excited for the 4D ultrasound!


Have you seen my baby carriage?